Site

Categories

Name your College Football Allegiance

Sports & Outdoors Posted by brian 7 years, 7 months ago

The 2016 college football season is officially underway. My beloved Kansas State Wildcats are in Palo Alto tonight to take on Christian Mccaffrey and the Stanford Cardinal.

I'm a huge college football fan and have been looking forward to tonight all year.

Anyone else a college football fan and if so what is your team?

Thanks and I'll listen off air.

P.S. EMAW and go cats.

26 replies

• glen

Kansas Jayhawks.

Yes, I realize that I'm hoping for at least one win this year. Yes, I realize that there will be no bowl game, no national media coverage (unless there's another Taco Bell-caliber incident), and no real glory.

But that's what true fans do.

• brian

Everyone knows you just don't mess with a defensive end's chalupa. I blame Taco Bell for this situation, really the victim is the defensive lineman in this scenario.

• glen

Agreed.

Interestingly, the judge let the lineman go, but under the condition that "he not return to Taco Bell". Was that a lifelong ban to any Taco Bell, or just the one in Lawrence? If it's the former, that is a serious punishment.

• Chet_Manly

Does anything good ever happen at a Taco Bell at 2 in the morning? Probably not, I'd guess.

• Chet_Manly

Let me start my paying my condolences to you folks in Kansas. That can't be a fun place on Saturdays in the fall. Let me wish you very happy Sundays instead.

I went to Flordia State University and have been a fan since as far back as I can remember, into the late 80's. I've seen them through the rough period of the late Bowden years and I'm happy they have a quality coach and the stability that many teams lack.

I even joined the marching band to be able to attend football games. I do love college football and all the pomp and emotion that goes with it.

• brian

Hahaha. Wow, that escalated quickly. Now, keep in mind there are TWO football teams in Kansas. One of which won the Big 12 championship and made an appearance in a BCS bowl a few years back. K-State lost to Stanford (cheaters) on Friday night, but don't sleep on my wildcats this season, they'll get it turned around.

I've followed Florida State since the mid-1990s during Bowden's heyday. It was too bad that the wins dropped off a bit for him towards the end of his time there, but what a remarkable run he had there. Plus he was an old school, class act coach. You really can't ask for more than that.

The consistency with which Florida State has been at the top of college football has really been impressive. It's hard to find someone talented enough to replace a legend like Bowden but Jimbo has definitely stepped in and not missed a beat.

College football is definitely my favorite sport and I look forward to the beginning of the season all spring and summer. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and all the twists and turns it will inevitably bring.

• Chet_Manly

My comments weren't intended to stir the excrement but I can see how they would.

I'd love to see a powerful team from Kansas challenging the big guys in their conference. Last I was aware, Charlie Weiss had a coaching job at one of the schools, so I figured I wouldn't see anything of that school till he was purged.

Just seems tough to build football consistency at premier basketball schools (and perhaps vice versa).

And yes, Stanford, while not being the worst of the PAC-whatever number it is now, is still a west coast team so, I'm sure they do cheat....as does most any team that beats mine!

My wife has a countdown app. On it is Christmas, the kids birthdays, and the first college game of the season. CFB ranks high at or house!

• brian

Exactly. It's amazing the coincidence of teams that cheat that have also beat my favorite team! It's a damn near, if not perfect correlation.

I'm going to look into this countdown clock idea. Sounds like a must have for my home office.

• Chet_Manly

This Saturday I'd have rather been in Kansas. The football gods (aka the phenomenal Louisville QB & Petrino) were not kind to my Noles, but that is the beauty of college football. While I hoped and prayed for an App. State victory over the despicable hurricanes, my own team was throttled... God bless college football, where anything can happen and frequently does.

• glen

Who knew that Louisville would do that though? I love your sentiment: anything can happen, and that's what makes it great.

• brian

Louisville bursting on the scene really makes things interesting in the Atlantic division of the ACC. You've got to hope for Clemson and Houston to beat Louisville, and Florida State to win out. I'm not sure what the tie breaker is, but it's still possible Florida State could get into the championship game. A lot of chips would have to fall, but it's EARLY in the season.

I remember talking to a college football player once and he said something to the effect of "For some reason, every couple of years there's a game on the schedule when one team shows up to blow the doors off and the other team shows up with zero emotion and the result is a huge blow out. The team that won isn't that great and the team that lost isn't that bad, it is just the emotions of that one specific day."

That statement really stuck with me and you see it all the time in teams suffering a bad loss, then bouncing back and becoming a major factor down the stretch.

Also, Bobby Freaking Petrino. That guy can flat out coach. K-State played against him in his last game as the head coach at Arkansas at the 2012 Cotton Bowl. It came out later that while he was busy beating the crap out of K-State, he was taking a few minutes here and there to send some "personal" texts right from the sideline. I'm still shaking my head about getting woodsheded by that guy, but he has been a consistently good head coach.

• Razorback

Petrino is an excellent coach but he is a terrible person. I knew someone on his staff during his tenure at Arkansas and they had no nice things to say about him. And for the record, his little mistress was attempting to drive the motorcycle when they crashed. They tried not to make that part public.

That being said, I hope it made him turn his life around and become a better person. It would only make him a better coach. I wish him nothing but the best.

• Chet_Manly

I have the same sentiments. That's why in the ACC, I like Jimbo Fisher (I'm biased) and Dabo Sweeny. Dabo may provide the biggest challenge year in and year out, but he is a heck of a man and the kind of coach you don't mind your son being mentored by. In all things, character matters.

I'm sure there are other good men coaching but these are the two that stand out in the circles of which I am a part.

• Chet_Manly

It does make me happy to see three strong teams in my conference and even happier that none of them are in the state of North Carolina or farther north. For some reason, I can't stand the NC teams.

I'd love to see my team in the playoffs but (and this may make me a bad fan) but if they haven't really earned that privilege, it will ring hollow and I won't enjoy it. It seems that the team's resolve and character is now in question, and as a fan that is scary. I'd rather see a dominant UL or Clemson go all the way than an FSU who gives up.

Btw: there are few games that make me happy I don't have cable and can't watch the game, but this one did.

Plus, I kind of look forward to seeing Houston run amuck and wreck havoc. They are darn good and like I enjoyed Boise State in the past, an underdog is a fun team to follow.

• KPS

Woo! Florida State!

• Razorback

WOO PIG SOOIE!

Arkansas Razorbacks fan here (hence my Gentlemint handle, obviously. I am an alumni of the U of A and can see the campus from my office window. No, we are never great but we do have some solid years. Had high hopes for this year but that narrow victory over Louisiana tech this past Saturday has given me great concern.

When asked, I tell people that I am a fan, not a fanatic. Some folks get a wee bit caught up in it.

• brian

Man, "we are never great". Heh, Arkansas is definitely what I would consider a 'great' college football team. They have a ton of awesome history and have been consistently very good for decades.

I'm a huge fan of Bret Bielema (former K-State D-coordinator), I think he'll get things going at Arkansas. I never worry about narrow victories in the first game of the season. It is very possible Louisiana Tech is a decent team or Arkansas just wasn't on point for the first game of the season.

I want to make it over to watch a game there at some point, and I may get a chance sometime this season depending on how things shake out.

I definitely fall into the fanatic category more times than I'd like to admit.

• Razorback

By great, I really meant "national champion" great but you are correct in that we often have a very good team. We go to a bowl game almost every year so there is that. It is hard to rise to that level anywhere but even harder in the SEC sometimes.

I was at the game this past Saturday. First one I have attended in person in two years. I avoid the crowds anymore. I have a buddy who tailgates right outside. I may start joining him for that part.

You would enjoy a game here. Friendly people and hearing 80,000 do the Hog Call in person is always fun, especially for those who have never experienced it. If you are ever in the area, give me a shout. The offer to buy you a beer never expires.

• Filadog

Go Vols! It's been hard to be a Vols fan over the past few years. I try not be one of those typical Vols fans that call for the coach's head just because we don't win a National Championship. I just enjoy the atmosphere and the time of the year. Beautiful fall day outside watching that glorious white smoke slip out of that smoker knowing those ribs are going to fall off the bone while sipping on a cold brewsky. Doesn't get any better. And if the Vols win, that's a bonus.

• Chet_Manly

May you have that fall day this Saturday, complete with a victory over the gators. I'll be a Vols fan with you during that game! The SEC needs Tennesseee to reemerge as consistent winner.

• rsktkr

Two words.....Roll Tide!

• Razorback

We went to an Arkansas game in Tuscaloosa a few years back and had a great time. We grabbed a table outside at The Houndstooth sports bar on The Strip several hours before the game. The Bama fans were incredibly nice and even bought a few rounds for us. Probably because everyone knew Bama was going to kick our @$$ that year and they felt sorry for us.

We also ate at Archibald's BBQ while we were in town. Some of the best I have ever had. I would go back just to eat there again.

• Chet_Manly

Well, another regular season has come and gone; many ups and downs and unexpected outcomes. I hope the post season is quality and that players stay healthy enough to make their fans proud. Looking forward to the Championship Games and bowl selection. Not as much smack has been talked here as I had expected, perhaps in the post season...