Site

Categories

What Should We Build/Fix For You?

General Posted by brian 7 years, 5 months ago

As the 5 year anniversary of Gentlemint approaches, Glen and I have been talking more and more about what Gentlemint should be someday and what it is now, but not great at. Over the last 5 years, we have done some things well but failed in some ways and I suppose that is to be expected. When we set out to build a manly link sharing site 5 years ago, we never expected it to be used by anyone but ourselves and our close friends. It turned out that many more people than we ever envisioned were interested in it and that community that cared about it back then and still cares about it now is something that is vitally important to us.

So anyway, first of all, I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the contributions they've made to the site over the last 5 years. Whether it was liking a tack or commenting on something or adding a piece of content to the site, everything that you've done on Gentlemint means something to us and we honestly want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for taking a second out of your day to contribute to the site. We never take it for granted and we truly appreciate it.

That said, we want to build a site that you care about and want to contribute to. So I was curious if there are things that frustrate you about using Gentlemint that you'd like to see improved or features that aren't here yet that would be helpful and make the site better for you? Any type of feedback is warranted here as we are simply curious what you are frustrated by or ideas you may have for what the next feature should be to make Gentlemint that much better.

Thanks again for all that you do here at Gentlemint and for being a part of an awesome community.

11 replies

• sam_acw

Is the site still invite only? I've still got two invites to give out! I didn't realise it'd been here for five years. The only thing I think that could make it better (aside from more cool users like Chet Manly) would be a third icon on each post showing the number of click-throughs in addition to likes and saves.

• glen

It is still invite only, and congrats on being with us for the long haul, Sam.

The number of clickthroughs is a great idea, but it's actually data that we haven't collected yet. That said, it might be something we add in the future.

• Chet_Manly

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words!

• brian

Alas, if I had the technology to clone users like Chet Manly, the Gentlemint Community, nay, the world would be a better place.

• Razorback

I know it has been said before but having the ability to edit comments would be nice. I hate when I type something incorrectly and can't take it back.

Also, having the ability to like (or stache) comments would be a neat feature because we get a lot of great (and often humorous) comments to some posts.

• Chet_Manly

A ditto on both points.

• brian

We built the editing feature in with the parlor but held off on the normal comments. Glen is always hounding me about adding likes for comments as well. I think both will be on the road map and we'll keep you updated on when we get them done.

• daemon

I would like the ability to edit comments because I abhor misspelled words and typos, but alternately, I like the finality of not being able to edit or add to my comments, because it keeps me honest and makes me pause and reflect on the words I have chosen. This is who I am and what I said, exactly as it occurred.

• MarkBlemish

Yes, to edit or delete one's comments would be nice.

• Titanheart

I would enjoy a way to see what comments are new more easily in the parlor. As posts/comments grow it is easy to get a bit lost as conversations branch out.