and 9 others like this
Embed this tack by clicking the box below, copying, and pasting
Source: www.apartmenttherapy.com via jeff.linscheid.5 on Gentlemint
Login to comment →
What You Need
MaterialsThe end chunk of a potato (enough to be able to hold firmly)Course saltA rusty cast iron skilletA little vegetable oil (canola or olive will do)
EquipmentGloves (optional, but recommended)Instructions
1. Place your rusty skillet in the sink and sprinkle a couple tablespoons of salt into it.
2. Take your chunk of potato and start scrubbing. The moisture from the potato will be enough to help the salt dig in to the rust.
3. The salt will get dirty very quickly. You may choose to rinse out the pan to survey your progress. If there is still rust, add more salt and repeat Step 2.
4. Continue to the sides, edges, bottom and handle of your pan.
5. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
6. Place pan on stove burner, this will help dry any remaining moisture.
7. Once dry, put a small amount of vegetable oil in the pan and rub it in with a paper towel.
8. Keep pan over low heat for at least 30 minutes.
9. Let skillet cool. Make sure to wipe off any excess oil before storing your skillet. If you leave extra oil in the pan it can turn rancid.
10. Every time you use your pan, after you've cleaned it (I never use soap, but that's up to you), put the pan on a low burner and repeat the oil and paper towel step. It's best to store your pan in the oven, but it worked much better when stoves had pilot lights that stayed on (thus keeping ambient moisture away from your pans).
Additional Notes: As I said above, I never use soap on my cast iron pans. My dad's way of cleaning was to wipe it out with a paper towel when it was still hot and then run it under some water (if needed), then put it on the stove with a bit of oil to reseason it. Many people do just fine using a mild soap and sponge, but I urge you NOT to scrub it with soap. That action will break down the seasoning you've worked so hard for. You don't want to start from scratch each time you use your pan. It would become a miserable experience and you'll hate your cast iron.
Gentlemint is a community for sharing and discussing all things manly.
Learn more →
A weekly discourse on all things manly, courtesy of your Gentlemint co-founders. Listen now →
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Tablet $799.99
TODAY ONLY: 1 or 2 Person Sauna $749.99
Dockers Alpha Tech Trucker Jacket $39.99