Site

Categories

Who Plays a Musical Instrument?

General Posted by Razorback 7 years, 8 months ago

I know we have a lot of music lovers on Gentlemint, but I thought it might be interesting to see how many of us actually play an instrument.

I began playing music in junior high. Although I have played many different things over the years, I was always a drummer first. I played for many years until college when I had to sell my kit for extra funds. I then went 25 years without playing a lick but have recently picked it up again. Amazing how quickly it came back after all that time.

During that lapse, I began to play the guitar more and now own several acoustics and a couple of electrics. It is important to note that I am not classically trained so technically, I play guitar but I am not a guitar player. I have friends who are far more talented but I can hold my own as a rhythm player for the most part. Fun fact: I do not play barre chords. I hate them (mainly because I have a hard time keeping the first finger in the proper position).

What about everyone else?

26 replies

• glen

I played the trumpet from elementary through high school, and then transitioned to the guitar. It saddens me when I hear of art and music programs that are getting cut from schools. I felt like I learned the most about life and myself from these programs than any others growing up.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox :)

Oh, and I've played (mostly) acoustic guitar a few times every week for the past 15 years, and still don't like barre chords very much myself.

• jordan

I am a major music nerd from a very musical family, mostly on the classical side of things. Played all through high school and college and now am in the local city band. It's a blast, especially since my stand partner is 92. I primarily play clarinet, but I can also play piano, all the saxophones except the Kenny G one, and baritone.

Good forum topic.

• Razorback

I have always believed that any song that includes horns is better than most. What type(s) of music does your band play?

• jordan

Since it's a city band and the average age of our audience is about 68, we play a lot of musical medleys (West Side Story, The Music Man, etc.), jazz band covers, marches, overtures, and other traditional concert band stuff. However, we close out every summer with The 1812 Overture usually complete with National Guard cannons and fireworks. No music cool points for city band, but it's a heckofalotta fun, especially playing with really experienced musicians.

• Razorback

I think playing in a city band scores major cool points. How many people can say they have done that? If nothing else, it teaches versatility and classical pieces. I applaud you for it.

• brian

I've been a guitar player since I was 6 years old. I started on piano, which I still play occasionally, but I always wanted to be a guitar player and it's been a great outlet for me over the years and one of my favorite things to do with any free time I have.

• Razorback

Wow, you started early. I wish more children would take it up sooner.

Like you, I love to play in my spare time. Unfortunately, I injured my left arm recently and i am not supposed to play for several weeks. Already lost my calluses.

• ahnyerkeester

Started on trumpet in 6th grade and played through my first year in the Air Force. After a break of about 14 years, I started playing again for the base honor guard. If the 21 gun salute didn't get the family crying, that first not of Taps would.

Recently bought a trumpet to try and get my chops back but haven't really tried.

• glen

I recently picked up a trumpet again after about 17 years, and my embouchure was laughable. I tried playing "Hang On Sloopy", and it was ROUGH.

• Razorback

When I first played drums again after 25 years, I was surprised how quickly it came back to me. I do not have the stamina to play for long periods and some rhythm/time changes are still tricky but for the most part, I slid back into it readily. That being said, it was the basic stuff like AC/DC and ZZ Top. Not quite ready to get back into playing Rush just yet.

• Chet_Manly

I played piano and French born in college. Had to drop piano because I had neither the repertoire nor the intrinsic drive to compete with my peers who had both talent and a work ethic. So I dropped down to just horn. Did the marching band, got to go to two national championship games, lots of tailgating, and had a community of about 400 "friends" just from being in the organization. Some of the funniest, most interesting and talented people I've ever met and some of the laziest and most god awful annoying ones as as well, in music programs.
    These days I listen to music, always. Classical and anything with musicality. I just can't abide one dimensional music or musicians. However, as much as I love music, I love even more to 'pick up heavy things and put them down' as its been said. So I dabble on piano when I have time and I am teaching my sons the piano.

I'd love to play in a band again but after having the chops I did in college, it's just depressing to pick my horn up again unless I knew I could dedicate the time to it that it deserves. And life has moved on anyway. I'd rather have my kids than be a good horn player.

There was a study in an old Science News magazine that said something like: while learning music wouldn't increase your IQ points, it does help to maximize your IQ potential (roughly summarizing) so music is a large part of our family whether the kids want it to be or not.

• glen

There was a study in an old Science News magazine that said something like: while learning music wouldn't increase your IQ points, it does help to maximize your IQ potential (roughly summarizing) so music is a large part of our family whether the kids want it to be or not.

Interesting! This study (loosely) backs what you're saying too.

• Chet_Manly

I appreciate the exchange of information, very cool. It's just anecdotal but when my 5 year old started playing piano with regularity, within 2 months his reading skills had improved dramatically. I won't try to make a case for correlation or causation, but I'll just say that it happened.

• Razorback

I prefer to not play in a band again. The set list and rehearsing cause too much stress. Besides, i am too old to be playing late night gigs.

For the past year or so, I have been hosting other musically inclined friends at my house for "jam sessions." My rule up front was that there would be no rehearsals. I also base all of them around a food experience where we cook something new each time (think Live From Daryl's House). We have great conversations, enjoy wonderful food and drink, and play good music half-heartedly. Very casual and entertaining. We all love it.

• elancaster65

Learned piano at age 10. Acoustic guitar at age 12. Played at the guitar for about 30 years. Taught myself how to play the Alto Sax. That lasted about 6 months.

As for barre chords....hate them as well. Short fat fingers and couldn't get the first finger to stay put which resulted in a twangy note.

Guitar now sits in the closet, in its case, collecting dust.

My son plays the acoustic and electric guitar, the electric bass and the ukele. All self taught with a little help from his music teacher in High School. Kid's got skills....