Site

Categories

What project are you working/planning?

DIY Posted by ahnyerkeester 7 years, 2 months ago

brian's post of Adam Savage making a Wookie bandolier got my creative juices flowing. I've been tinkering with Raspberry Pis lately (spent last night getting a touch screen working and an USB FM receiver to make noise) and I chatted with my son today about his maker space work on some fun CNC and 3D printer projects. I'm not much for a wood worker but I'd love to make a TV stand out of reclaimed wood and old iron works.

What kind of things are you gentlemen working on?

32 replies

• glen

Great thread. I've got a couple things right now:

1. Attempt to weld a meat smoker.
    2. Brew another batch of beer.

The first one is slightly more daunting. Fortunately, I think a buddy can help me with welding, and I can rent the equipment from Home Depot.

• Razorback

I have several that I am planning but only one started.

In the planning phase:

• Build a custom 12' outdoor dining table for the back patio, complete with built-in drink holders and removable serving trays.
    • Currently working with our architect friends to redesign part of our house to create a larger laundry room for my wife and a more functional bonus room for me (nicely appointed with an ammo & camo closet as well as a safe room.)
    • Thinking about refacing the kitchen cabinets with new doors and paint to make them a little more modern.
    • Build sliding barn doors for my home office which currently only has door openings.
    • In March we will be plowing up the food plots at our deer camp in preparation for turkey season this April. We will also be installing new box blinds to be used next deer season (these suckers are big enough to hold a recliner).

In the actually happening now phase:

• Cleaning out the entire garage and reorganizing it completely. Started that yesterday.
    • Building a wood and iron pipe coffee table as well as some bookshelves for a meeting room at work. This will match the standing desks I built for that room last year.
    • Finish cutting firewood for next year. I like to let wood season for a year so that it burns well the following winter.

• Nickolas

I have gone headlong into Ham/Amateur Radio of late. I broke my foot on New Years and all the sitting still (I don't do that well still) had me focus my energy on a bucket list hobby of getting my Ham license. There are three levels of license that give you more access to more bandwidth. I passed the first two levels on the first try. It has opened up a pretty amazing hobby for me. Anyone that has any sort of interest it is a very broad hobby please I would be happy to tell more.

Right now to my wife's chagrin I have now thrown three wire antennae into our trees around our house (we have 14 acres). You don't need the big towers that folks associate it with Ham radio. I have spoken to folks around the globe and just really enjoy it! I am working on setting up more

• Razorback

In Arkansas, you can get a special license plate for your car that has your ham radio ID. Not sure if they do that in all states but you might look into it. Could be a good way to "advertise" your handle.

• Nickolas

Yes, in NC you can get a pretty cool vanity plate with your call sign. I already have my Auburn "USA!" vanity plate. Geeky hobby but I've always been a nerd. Being a middle aged dad only make it worse. When it comes to getting your name out there there are dozens and dozens of sites out there dedicated to all sorts of uses for a radio. Summits on the Air (SOTA) , Islands on the AIR (IOTA). I have enjoyed talking to folks from Rwanda, Slovina and all spots that the radio can reach. When you send your call sign over the air the other person looks up to 'confirm' the contact. In the US the FCC of course is the database we use. Cheers, KN4ACT

• Razorback
          • Nickolas

Thanks for the find! Forgot that in that part of Contact. Her request is correct, "Calling CQ..." That is how it is spoken today. "CQ" is short for calling all stations waiting for a reply. Just spoke to a guy in London a few hours ago that was "calling CQ". I am not sure that would have passed the FCC back then. It was quite tough. You had to know Morse Code, a requirement they dropped a while ago (and many old timers complain about it to no end). You can have someone (anyone in the room) as a 3rd party talk on the radio, but it is up to the call sign licensee to initiate and 'control' the conversation. The equipment is light years ahead of the Heathkit days. Although many pride themselves in making their own radios. Anyway, there are a number of young Hams out there. One is youtube famous for getting all three of the FCC exams done. https://youtu.be/6bU3TLAOoqw

• BenEspen

My wife and I are making a bar cabinet out of an old radio. The original plan was to include some LED lights on a microcontroller, but there have been some setbacks on that front so we shall see.

• glen

Wow, that sounds pretty great. There's nothing like the design of an old radio, in my humble opinion.

• Razorback

That is a great idea. I always wanted to make a fish tank out of one of those old, giant console TV/stereo combos from the 70s. But I wanted to keep the stereo portion intact. Mixing water and electronics is probably not a good idea and the fish likely would have died from stress because of music pulsating through the tank. Nevertheless, it seemed like a good idea that simply never saw the light of day.

Console

• ahnyerkeester

Guys, I totally forgot to tell you what project I'm actually working on at this time: a handlebar mustache. It is coming along fine. My wife isn't to crazy about it and it has received mixed reviews from my friends but I like it so far.

• Razorback

I am letting my hair grow out. It is getting pretty long (for me) but nowhere near rock star status yet. I turned 50 recently and I am fortunate to still have a full head of hair so I thought, why not? I figure I will let it go as long as I can stand it. More than likely, the heat and humidity of the Arkansas summer will make me cut it off. My wife likes it so, there's that.

• dewtattoo

I can add to this one. During a camping trip last June I decided that I needed to build some type of case for liars dice. When I got home from the trip I got on Amazon and bought some brand new stainless steel cups and a huge pack of 100 black dice...... and they sat on my work bench for 3 months.

Now that the heat is nearly gone, and my garage is no longer hotter than Satan's armpit, I decided to build that lairs dice set.

This is what I built. Imgur Imgur Imgur

...and recently I started making my own beard balm after unsuccessfully trying to find some in my local area. Now I am looking into selling it myself. Imgur

I try to keep busy