Haven't Joined Gentlemint Yet?

Join

The Tacks

Helpful Pages

Discover and discuss the manliest content on the Web

Oreos

Food Posted by jordan 1 week, 1 day ago

This thread is partially for Chet Manly's comment on Glen's post here. Feel free to add comments debating flavors, but my question is:

Oreos or Joe-Joes? And more importantly Mint Oreos or Peppermint Joe-Joes?

I firmly believe Peppermint Joe-Joes are the perfect sandwich cookie, but I'm always up for trying different cookies, purely for the sake of scientific inquiry.

19 replies

• Chet_Manly

I have to admit, I've never heard of Joe-Joes... (off to edit the shopping list).

And I'm all in favor of rigorous scientific inquiry. Now I can justify my occasional gluttony, for scientific research.

• jordan

Joe-Joes are the Trader Joes take on Oreos. The Peppermint Joe-Joes only come around during the holiday season.

• Chet_Manly

This thread....The Lord's Work. I'll second that.

So, I'm a soggier the better guy, BUT, there is a point of perfection of perfect to be found: Where it starts to get soggy but isn't close to falling apart yet and has just started to absorb the milk... that's when it's perfect IMHO.

I like the mint Oreos but they don't absorb properly. The Peanut Butter Oreos absorb like the original ones do, so I like them. The Oreo/Reeses ones did not absorb so I do t bother with those anymore.

I tried the Birthday Cake Oreos: didn't taste good to me and didn't absorb.

I have heard the Red Velvet Oreos were good but the source couldn't tell me how they absorb, so I haven't tried them yet.

I refuse to eat Oreos without decent milk...skim milk is not proper milk for Oreos.

• glen

I was telling my wife about this thread, and she pointed me to this new flavor that is filled with... wait for it... pop rocks.

I don't know how I feel about this.

• jordan

During my scientific inquiry shopping yesterday, I saw the Firework Oreos at 23rd St HyVee. They also had lemon and birthday cake, but I thought those were a bit of a stretch (mostly since I really wanted to try Red Velvet and they didn't have them).

I got the golden oreos instead for the family crew. For our tastes, the goldens needed a bit of enhancement which we did with peanut butter and chocolate chips.

• glen

Wow, it never dawned on me that I could add anything other than milk to the experiment. I need to process this.

Also: I forgot about the lemon Oreos! Another favorite.

• Razorback

“My dental hygienist is cute. Every time I visit, I eat a whole package of Oreo cookies while waiting in the lobby. Sometimes she has to cancel the rest of the afternoon's appointments.”

― Steven Wright

• glen

Update (May 20, 2017):

My wife procured a package of the Pop Rocks Oreos this morning. I tried one and they were surprisingly good. It still tasted like the original Oreo, but with an extra tingle. You could barely taste the Pop Rocks, which was a good thing.

The dunking of milk behaved nearly identical to the classic cookie. I must say I'm very impressed.