Site

Categories

Game/Surveillance Cam Recommendations

Tech Posted by jordan 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm interested in buying something like a game cam, but, not coming from a hunting background, I don't know where to start Googling. We have poultry (guineas, roosters, Tom the Turkey), and we get predators at night from time to time. I'd like to see what's going on, so definitely something that can record in the dark. I don't need it synced/backed up to the cloud or anything, just something that will record maybe 24 hours. All suggestions & recommendations for equipment or for what to start Googling welcome.

4 replies

• brian

Not sure how well this will suit your particular situation, but I just purchased a set of Blink Outdoor cameras on Amazon a few weeks back https://amzn.to/3pwmuK5. They are battery powered, record at night and are motion activated so theoretically you could set them in an angle that would get you an alert when something is happening.

I haven't set mine up yet so I can't report on the quality, but will do so when I get them installed.

• elancaster65

I'm using a Blink outside the front door. Image is very good in the day and the night vision is good as well. You can set up notifications that'll buzz your phone when people approach. You'll have to fine tune the area that sets off the notifications otherwise every car down the street sets the phone off!

I activate it when we're gone or expecting someone over.

So far...2 thumbs up.

• Razorback

I have used a lot of different trail cams for hunting. For the past few years, I have had good success with the Browning Dark Ops HD Pro. At about $170 each, not the least expensive but very reliable and a long battery life.

If you want to cover a wider area, Moultrie has a 150-degree panoramic camera that also works well. I have a couple at deer camp that have been in use for over four years. Battery life is not great so I recommend the accompanying solar panel option. It will automatically pull power from the panel before using the batteries.