Site

Categories

Favorite Halloween Films

Entertainment Posted by glen 7 years, 6 months ago

What's everybody's favorite Halloween films? I'm kind of a weenie when it comes to scary movies, so I like to go with more I think I'd have to go with these 3:

• The original Halloween
  • Shaun of the Dead
  • The original Psycho (or just about anything Hitchcock)

16 replies

• Chet_Manly

We didn't watch much in the way of movies or tv as I was growing up so I have no childhood Halloween classics. However as my family is growing (the kids are still young) we are developing or own go to list for movies:

• Legend of Sleepy Hollow, by Disney
    • GhostBusters
    • Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin
    • Bedknobs and Broomsticks
    • Harry Potter number 1 (for some reason, I prefer this as a Christmas movie, but Die Hard is also one of my favorite Christmas movies, so there you go.).

I just watch the presidential campaigns and that generates a strong enough element of fear to last me the next three halloweens.

• OperationBrandon

Watched a great film the other night, Digging Up The Marrow. Styled like a documentary, lots of hand-held footage, Blair Witch-y in feel but surprisingly funny? Ray Wise is the goddamn man

• I watch a lot of horror movies, but most of the time, none are that noteworthy. I've been brainstorming a bit and I don't know if I would call these favorites per se, but these really stand out in my memory. Wish I had a running list...I know there are more! I'll keep brainstorming...

Triangle - great time loop movie, way better than I thought it would be and I couldn't stop thinking about/trying to figure it out afterwards. The whole movie is on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfoRkXQlkg4

The House at the End of Time - this is an entertaining low-budget movie, but I loved the storyline/time travel element, and there are genuinely creepy moments

As Above, So Below - kind of a fun, entertaining documentary style flick about entering Hell through the Catacombs of Paris

In Fear - I liked the creepy setting (being lost in the Irish countryside) and build-up of suspense and air of mystery in this one

The Ones Below - watched this one recently and I appreciated the Hitchcock vibe. Better than expected and entertaining.

Idle Hands - a very cheesy oldie...but a goodie

• glen

Great list! I'd not heard of many of these. The Ones Below looks terrifying, but not in a slasher way...

Idle hands. Yes! Gotta love the classics.

• brian

I wanted to do a GM blog post about this, but ran out of time. Definitely next year, but I wanted to throw a couple in here for future reference:

The Night of The Hunter This is based on a true story and one of my all time favorites, so expertly crafted it will blow you away that the director never got behind the lens again.

The Wickerman (the original 1970s version) Again, one of my all time favorites, though not based on a true story. This is a very weird film, but so creepy and unique.

Halloween Of all the classic slasher movies, this one stands far above the rest. John Carpenter expertly achieves not only a stunning suspense film, but writes an iconic soundtrack in the process.

Vertigo This is Alfred Hitchcock's most personal film and an absolutely spellbinding story centered around the blurry line between obsession and love.

The Town that Dreaded Sundown This is a damn good recent film, it is based on the 1976 film of the same name that is actually about real events in a small town in Texas.

Carnival of Souls I really dig this one, but I'm biased. It was mostly filmed in Lawrence, Kansas — the town I live in. However, it is an interesting story and a film that critics point to as being incredibly influential to modern horror film makers.

I could basically go on and on about this subject, but if I had to pick a handful, these would be the ones.