What's your favorite fall drink?

Food Posted by samuelstreicher 7 years, 6 months ago

My favorite comes from mademan.com. It's a fall whiskey punch:

• 1 part rye whiskey (1 ½ ounces)
  • 1 part apple cider (1 ½ ounces)
  • 2 parts ginger beer (3 ounces)
  • 1 dash Angostura Bitters
  • Lemon slice for garnish

I've brought it the last two years to my buddy's fall cookout he does annually. But I'm looking for some new styles to bring to the table. Preferably ones that can be made large batch.

URL for recipe here: http://www.mademan.com/cocktail-recipe/fall-whiskey-punch/

4 replies

• glen

That punch looks great. I'll have to give it a shot.

I typically like a bourbon on the rocks, or if it's cold out, bourbon with a splash of water.

That said, here's a really simple drink that's my go-to fall cocktail. Mainly because it's easy and has readily-available ingredients.

Bourbon Cider Recipe

• 2 parts cider (the good kind, not the concentrate stuff)
    • 1 part bourbon (this is a conservative recipe... I like mine a little stronger than just 1 part.)
    • Orange slice
    • 2 teaspoon brown sugar
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • Rosemary sprig (garnish, if you like that sort of thing)

Mix the brown sugar and salt and spread on a plate. Take the orange slice, and run it around the rim of the glass. Take the glass and put it rim-down on the plate, so as to make the salt/sugar combo stick to the rim.

Take a shaker, add the bourbon and cider, and add some ice. Shake until cold and mixed, pour into glass. Add orange slice for garnish to rim. (I just squeeze and toss into glass... but I'm a simple caveman.)

You could add some bitters if you're feeling adventurous too. It's a pretty forgiving drink.

The best part for you is that you could make it all in advance in a large batch, and it would still be great.

• Razorback

I don't typically deviate during the seasons unless somebody decides to make me something while visiting. I have always said that the best drink I have ever had was someone else's. ;-)

That being said, I have been trying to become more intentionally experimental. Glen posted a good recipe for a Beergarita in The Parlor a couple of months ago. I tried that and liked it very much.

But I would really like to get into bourbon more. To that end (and to answer your original question), I have been wanting to learn how to make a good Old Fashioned. I found this recipe which also comes from mademan.com but I would not mind getting input from others on the Mint.

• dewtattoo

My "go-to" fall/winter drink is very basic.

1 part Fireball

2 parts Southern Comfort brand Eggnog

It doesn't get any simpler than that.

It tastes great, but runs a bit high on the calorie count.

For some oddball reason eggnog hasn't hit the shelves yet in my part of California. It's usually available in the major grocery outlets on the first week of October. They better not make me wait much longer.

• glen

Interesting... I've not seen the fireball/eggnog combo before. I usually find fireball and cider mixed together often. I'll have to try your version.