Site

Categories

Let's play a game: Which Non-Politician Would You Vote For?

Politics Posted by glen 7 years, 5 months ago

This election cycle giving you the blues? I hear you. So, I thought it might be fun to play a little game where we cast our ballots for our dream President(s) who aren't currently politicians.

So, I'll start: I'm going with Mike Rowe.

I've always been a fan of him, and how his career basically started as a dare. From an interview:

I was in the opera at the time. I walked across the street with a buddy of mine (during a performance) - we're dressed as Vikings and we have a drink. The TV is turned to QVC. ... My buddy bets me $100 I can't get a call back. So ... I crashed the audition and got a job on the spot. I basically turned the whole thing into my own stupid David Letterman show - I made fun of the callers and made fun of the products.

If that wasn't enough to convince me, his Ted Talk on what he learned from Dirty Jobs is pure brilliance, and I think it should be mandatory viewing for high school graduates.

Who's next? There are plenty out there...

34 replies

• Chet_Manly

Alex P. Keaton (just kidding).

Mike Rowe is about the only person I could think of besides Andrew Napolitano or a younger Thomas Sowell.

I'm actually shocked that I've sat for 30 minutes before typing and I can't come up with more than 3 people. I'm sure others will come up with ideas I could get behind, but I've not been very successful. It is a fun break from reality though.

• sam_acw

If we're discounting Trump, it's hard to think of many. I've got a friend who'd like to vote for Vince McMahon (WWE owner) but personally I'd vote for someone on the right like Charles Murray (more seriously) or Alex Jones (more crazily).

• glen

Vince McMahon! He would surely do this to celebrate his win. Great suggestion.

Yeah, I didn't mean to discount any candidate with this little game. It was more born out of my disappointment that the candidate who will likely win will have won the battle of "Whose allegations are worse in the public eye?" instead of actual policy. It's been a real race to the bottom in that respect.

• Titanheart

I like Mike Rowe and I could see him filming his Campaign and subsequent time in the White House under the title "Dirty Jobs: Ultimate Edition", or something similar.

Another possibility I would be interested in would be Tom Selleck.

For fun though I would really like to see Mark Rippetoe in the White House. Just imagine the press conferences, the debates, it would be glorious!

• Chet_Manly

bwahahahaha. Trigger warnings and "safe space violations" would precede each one, but there would never be more honesty or direct answers at any press conferences than those. Excellent choice.

• glen

Tom Selleck! An excellent addition. I don't know his stance on policy, but I'd at least vote for his mustache.

• bean

Mike Rowe! What a man's-man! All around great guy. He truely appreciates the working class. Mike is a genuine wordsmith, measuring each word with surgical precision.

On a more comical note, I nominate Chuck Norris for anything. He is just a no crap taker!

I he wasn't Canadian, Red Green, because If the ladies dont find you handsome, they oughta at lead fond you handy!