Site

Categories

drholbs

Shadow banning by Gentlemint

Politics Posted by drholbs 5 years, 7 months ago

I just noticed something. I don't post a lot but when I find something really interesting or thought provoking then I like to see what other people think about it. I have posted 2 articles in the past 3 months that were political in nature and because they were really well written and interesting I was excited to see your thoughts. There were no comments which was odd. Then I noticed that they would show up on the same browser that I had used to place it but they would not show up if I used a different browser. Has anyone else noticed this? Dave

1 reply

• glen

Hey Dr., just wanted to give some clarity on what you're seeing. How moderation works on Gentlemint is if enough people flag (or report) a particular tack, it's hidden by default. It's one of a couple measures we have in place so that Brian and I don't have to monitor the site 24/7.

There are instances that this automatic process fails, and sometimes perfectly fine content is flagged for whatever reason. It's not a perfect system. I will say this: political content, especially content leaning one side or the other, is easily our most flagged content. It's just a nervy topic for about everybody. Anyway, I hope that helps give some insight into how our moderation works. It's not a perfect system, but I'm not sure if there is one.

If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot us an email at howdy@gentlemint.