Site

Categories

Financial Education

General Posted by jordan 5 years ago

What people or classes contributed to your financial education and current financial habits, both in positive and negative ways? How much was fueled by personal research?

3 replies

• glen

Excellent discussion topic. Here are some that have impacted me the most in no particular order:

• Dave Ramsey class. My wife and I received a membership to his class as a wedding present, and at the time I thought it was the lamest gift ever. But we went, and it was actually really good. I know Dave has some haters, and I don't agree with everything that he preaches, but the course itself was a great step into actually forcing my wife and I to talk about and explore financial topics that we'd not thought about yet. The content is basic, the workbooks are a chore, and the discussions are meh. But it was perfect for us at the time, and I'd recommend it to any couples trying to get on the same page with money.

• The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins. A nice, easy take on how to get a handle on your finances. Written originally as an essay to his daughter on how to manage money when she came of age, it's one of the most popular and best books out there.

• A Beginner's Guide to Investing - Given to me by a good friend when I was first starting to contribute to my company's 401k. Simple and straightforward, just the way I like my investments.

• Various financial blogs. Mr. Money Mustache, Get Rich Slowly, Financial Samurai, etc. They all have different takes on the minutiae of money management, but all kind of have the same underlying principles of living below means and putting money away.

Looking forward to hearing everyone else's replies!

• NorthWind

Financial Peace, by Dave Ramsey. It was a lot of work, but it has paid off. I own several copies so I can pass them out to younger friends who ask about it.

• korny09

Dave Ramsey, Crown Financial, and many young bucks making their hustle as financial advisors...which all have said they had nothing to offer us. The best system for us is the cash system.