Site

Categories

Any cigar fans out there? If so, what's your favorite?

Vices Posted by glen 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm a casual cigar smoker, and based on some comments from a tack I posted it there are others here as well.

My limit per stick is at the most $10 (a vast number of choices thanks to the beauty of the internet), and here is my favorite:

Oliva Serie V - med-full bodied, rich and delicious all the way down to the nub. It's ~$8-$10.

I usually pick up sample packs and sale bundles to fill out the humidor, though.

33 replies

• Ammon

Go to cigarsInternational.com and look at samplers. My fav's are anything Gurka, Rocky Patel, or Diesel. I like big fat dark ones.

• glen

Yeah, that's a good tactic. Bundles are the way to go for price effectiveness. For example, I picked up a 20-stick bundle sampler of Oliva for about $2.50/stick. Considering their excellent stogies usually run for $8-$11 at the local humidor, that is fantastic.

Recently I set up an alert at SlickDeals for the term "cigar" and have found a lot of bundle deals at various places. Great for loading up the humidor on the cheap.

One other note: I have had the worst luck with Rocky Patel. I don't know if I've ever had a good cigar, in either taste or construction. They tend to turn at about the halfway point. Yet everyone loves Rocky... I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

• DoctorSooner

As a new cigar smoker, you should definitely try one of the Tabak Especial manufactured by Drew Estate, or possibly one of their Acid cigars. Somewhat mild and not overpowering, and very smooth.

• glen

I've had the Especial, and it is a lot of fun! Even my father-in-law enjoys that smoke: light, sweet, and lots of output.

• skilletboy

Pretty much anything Oliva. Of course the Serie V meliano's are amazing. I like the maduro version as well.

Other of my favorites: Guhrka Master Select, Guhkra Grand Reserve Cognac infused, Rockey Patel Royale, Rockey Patel 1990, La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amore, Montecristo Media Noche.

All fantastic cigars mostly around $6-$10 on line ...

• skilletboy

Also, Thompson cigars (online) lets you buy 5-packs if you buy multiples for less than $20 per 5-pack.

I usually buy 4 5-packs at a time and get 20 cigars for around $80. Shipping is usually free over $50. $4 a stick is going to be almost impossible to beat. Any many of those I just listed are often available.

• barefootgreg

I'll throw the La Gloria Cubana Serie R into the ring. Don't let the "full" ratings fool you these are smooth and easy to smoke.
    If you feel like rewarding yourself give the Atabey a try, but at $20+ per stick it is a "once in a blue moon" smoke. Cigar.com has always been my go to online shop.

• glen

Wow, definitely a splurge stick. But it sounds incredible.

Yeah, it seems like when cigars are anywhere from medium to full, it's pretty subjective. It's more about how smooth of a smoke it is (for me, at least). The Oliva Serie V is like this.

You'll see two different reviewers give the same stick anywhere from medium to full... there are just too many different subjective variables.

• barefootgreg

I tried the Byron Reserva 5 Años (same company that makes the Atabey) while on vacation. Again, too expensive $32 but I treated myself and my dad to one. It was a cigar night at the shop and the cigar rep and the owner of Byron Cigars (or founders son, I didn't quite get the broken English) were there and they gave me two more, so $16 each for four. I like the Atabey better.

• LouGirl502

La Gloria Serie R is great!

• It's not my favorite, but my everyday. I smoke 2 or more cigars a day, which is too many to smoke a $10 cigar on my budget. I smoke Montesino Napolean Grande Maduro. They're a Dominican cigar made by Fuentes. They come in a soft package rather than a box and they're not pretty, but they smoke as well as a Fuentes and I can buy them 100 at a time for about $2.70 a stick including tax and shipping. A great value cigar. When I'm splurging, I usually smoke Cohiba's.

• glen

Now this is useful info. I'll have to check out the Montesino line. I love me some maduros, and at $2.70 a stick that's a stellar price.

• barefootgreg

Another one I like that most consider a "golf stick", a cigar you smoke while you are doing something else, is the Fonseca Arana. I will usually go for the robusto size and they are typically $5.50 each but you can get them in a mazo of 20 for $40 ($2 per stick)

• glen

For those playing along at home, here's a link to the Fonseca Arana.

For the "golf stick" (I use for frisbee golf as well... I think it counts), I like a Swisher or Black & Mild with wood tip. I realize that's cigar heresy, but it works!

• barefootgreg

Well, I don't play golf. Not that I haven't tried.... My "golf sticks" usually end up be consumed while tinkering on the car or working on the cabin or hiking, playing corn hole, or pretty much whenever I am doing something other than sitting. So, yes, Frisbee golf counts.